The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Health
 Young Hognose Not Feeding For a Month

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gmen44 Posted - 19/06/2013 : 15:22:37
My female western hognose has refused her last five feedings of thawed pinkies. Before this, she had been eating great for the first four weeks that I had her. I was told that she was five weeks when I purchased her and she is now about 14 weeks, but has not eaten since week 10. She also has not shed since I've had her and is looking thinner by the day. I use an under the tank heater and started using an over the tank bulb last week as well to try and keep the temperature up to 31 degrees Celsius on the warm end and room temperature on the cool end. She also has a hide on each end and a place to climb. She is on aspen bedding in a 41cm x 20cm x 25cm tank. Overall she seems to be just as active as she was when she was feeding but again she is looking a little thinner. I've tried the braining method and dipping the pinkie in hot water to moisten it up. She use to be a great feeder and now she seems almost scared and uninterested in the mice. Please help, I don't want to lose her! I will post pictures once I figure out how to do so.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alidan Posted - 17/08/2013 : 08:12:54
Hello, is your hoggie still not eating? When ours stopped I weighed her regularly and although it was months she never lost any weight. She was tiny 10g, but still active but she's been a dustbin ever since (about 6months). So don't loose heart. The set up seems fine size wise but as a previous post asked are you using a digi thermometer at BOTH ends of the faun? I think 'room temp' is a little subjective - although it is summer so I can't imagine it's too cold on the cool side. I have a stated heat mat on both ends as I think this was a flaw in my husbandry to start with. The warm end sits about 32'c and the cool end sits at about 26'c. Good luck, I hope she's eating by now. Give us an update :-)
smart bunny Posted - 22/06/2013 : 09:05:28
Have you tried tubbing her? That's how we got our hoggy to eat when he was refusing when we first got him. Get a small box or similar (we used a butter tub and pierced holes in it) pop the hoggy in the tub, then pop the mouse in as well and seal up. Put the tub so it it sitting mainly over the heat mat for warmth and leave overnight. Hopefully when you release hoggie in the morning she will have eaten - good luck!

Personally I would up the temp a bit as well - we try to keep our hot spot around the 35 mark.

Her home looks perfect - plenty of deep substrate to hide/burrow in.

Hmm, I just noticed the dial thermometer in the pic - these are OK for measuring ambient temperatures but you would be better with a digital thermometer with the probe sitting at the hottest point in the viv, as otherwise your temps may actually be higher than you think.
Gmen44 Posted - 19/06/2013 : 23:27:37
I keep it on for 11 hours. It's on a timer so the light cycle is consistent. I've also tried emailing the seller with no reply so far :(
phlegmatical Posted - 19/06/2013 : 23:20:27
How long do you keep the light on per day btw?
phlegmatical Posted - 19/06/2013 : 23:18:51
I keep mine in a 9ltr rub which is 255x395 so not much smaller than yours. My hoggy is a little bigger than yours though. I was told I couldn't put my royal straight into a viv As it would be too big but I just packed it out with plants and hides and he did fine and I just gradually removed bits as the weeks went on until I got it how I wanted it and he was happy and eating. I'm no expert on hognoses though... Like herriotfan said, I'd contact the store
Gmen44 Posted - 19/06/2013 : 22:57:33
What size tank would u suggest?

Here's a picture of the setup that I have her in.

[URL=http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/Gmen44/media/ba7f10c7-98c9-417d-a7bf-ff1eb398ef24_zpsc9f494d2.jpg.html][/URL]
phlegmatical Posted - 19/06/2013 : 22:15:52
maybe her enclosure is too big for her and stressing her out. you could try packing it out a bit to make her feel more secure
Gmen44 Posted - 19/06/2013 : 21:44:31
Here is a picture of her that I took last night.

[URL=http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/Gmen44/media/edb53506-3c72-4c47-9e69-3a25a2cfa3b8_zps6c7f7996.jpg.html][/URL]
herriotfan Posted - 19/06/2013 : 18:53:02
Have you been in touch with the person you got her from?
They may have some suggestions that could help.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000