The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Breeding
 Diary of a 1st time hoggie breeder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
strangemouse Posted - 28/05/2011 : 00:31:50
Hi all

I don't think I have posted before
Anyway here is my female hognose called Hoggle about a week ago heavily gravid with her first (and mine!) ever clutch.

And this is what I found in her nestbox today

There are 19 eggs although one is small and yellow so I don't think it is fertile. They are incubating away and now I begin the anxious wait to see if I will have babies. It's exciting but nerve racking at the same time but I am trying not to get my hopes up to much in case of failure.

Victoria
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
strangemouse Posted - 12/10/2011 : 23:10:05
It kept creeping up and staying at 30C for a few days, this was during the hottest summer weather and the incubator was near the window in my shed as that is the only space I could find. Next time I will put it in a cooler spot so the temperature should be easier to control!
manda88 Posted - 11/10/2011 : 14:14:31
Sorry to hear that the little one didn't make it :( but like you say at least you still had lots of healthy babies to keep you occupied
Those two pictured are so cool, the markings on the second one are particularly beautiful! Was there a spike in the temperature or did they just keep fluctuating? Fingers crossed for you that the problem feeders eat for you soon!!
strangemouse Posted - 10/10/2011 : 20:51:28
Completely forgot I started this thread! Sadly the one in the split egg died but it was the only one out of the first clutch that did so I had a 17 hatchlings. The 2nd clutch was less successful as I had problems with the temperature in the incubator getting too high over the summer, some came out with odd markings too presumably because of the incubation problems. I am having problems with non-feeders though which has been worse than I expected.

Here are some of the odd marking hatchlings:

manda88 Posted - 07/10/2011 : 11:50:08
I know this is a few months old, but wow!! What a fantastic amount of eggs! Is there any update on these guys? Did the one that's egg split make it? The one on your hand is enormous, I swear it's bigger than mine is and mine is a good few months old!!
strangemouse Posted - 20/07/2011 : 22:05:42
Three out now and another pipping

They are bigger than I expected.

I also have one egg which has split before s/he is ready, but I'm hoping s/he will be ok.

kdlang Posted - 19/07/2011 : 10:24:03
Awwwwww how cute is that??!!!!

Look forward to seeing more pics as they emerge
sparkaly Posted - 18/07/2011 : 23:34:07
I can see myself wanting another hoggie LOL
sparkaly Posted - 18/07/2011 : 23:33:08
ooooohhhhhhhhh just look at his little face, fantastic :)
strangemouse Posted - 18/07/2011 : 22:31:34
The first hatchling has started to emerge! I am so excited I can barely contain myself
Still a while to go yet though, trying to stay calm and let them get on with it.

LouiseB Posted - 18/07/2011 : 10:15:15
Cheers! The eggs are looking good, hope they all hatch out OK.
strangemouse Posted - 17/07/2011 : 23:57:10
2nd clutch has arrived
Was really hoping the first lot would hatch before the 2nd arrived but have managed fit them all in my home-made incubator. Was expecting the 2nd lot to be smaller but it was another 19! Although this time 4 were duds rather than one. So proud of her!

quote:
Good for Hoggle! (Are you a Labyrinth fan, btw??)

Yes I love the Labyrinth although mainly I just thought Hoggle the Hognose sounded cute.
Love your snakes' names by the way!

strangemouse Posted - 10/07/2011 : 20:00:26
The eggs are still looking plump and healthy and can't be much longer now! It's very exciting and I can't wait until I open the lid one day and see a little nose poking out. Hoggle looks gravid again and has just shed so I think she is going to double clutch, although she is not as fat as last time. I hope the eggs hatch before she lays again otherwise there will be a squeeze in the incubator.

Keeping fingers crossed!
Toki Posted - 16/06/2011 : 21:43:28
Awwww, good luck! :)
RedHog Posted - 04/06/2011 : 12:31:20
She looks nice and healthy! Yes you'll find yourself checking your eggs every five minutes with your first clutch but they are best left alone, if you keep opening the egg tub for instance, humidity will be lost and eggs may dry out!
Good luck and let us know how you do
LouiseB Posted - 31/05/2011 : 13:25:16
Good for Hoggle! (Are you a Labyrinth fan, btw??)
I would be permanently worried about things like egg-binding if I ever went in for breeding my snakes, so I can sympathise.
We will be wanting some piccies of the babies as soon as they come out...

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000