New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LatteIV
Snake Mite

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  02:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having a trouble feeding my hoggie. I got him on Saturday from a reptile show and the man said he had eaten 3 days prior.
So tonight I decided it was time to feed him, but when I placed him in the cage he would not eat it..

The guy told me he was trained on pinkies and to dip the head into water and hold it up to his nose. Saying that he would immediately take to it. I did that and Walker(hoggies name) got right on top of it, smelled the pinky and srunk his head away. D:

After that I waited a bit and then decided to drain some of the blood onto a paper towel and he did not even move toward it.

Please help me! D:

Mamma
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  11:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would leave him to settle in. He will be stressed with the whole moving experience. Leave him for 7 days with only going into his enclosure to do water changes every couple of days. Then try him.

Mamma. Location: Dundee

2.0.0 cornsnakes 1.1.0 kingsnakes 0.1.0 western hognose 0.1.0 hog island boa

wishlist: Arizona mountain kingsnake. Tricoloured, western hognose, Thayers kingsnake...pretty much MOAR kingsnakes

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  15:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I would leave him to settle for a bit longer - it won't do him any harm to go without food for a couple of weeks, and you don't want to overcrowd him when he's still getting used to his new surroundings.
It is probably a good sign that he at least sniffed it!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

LatteIV
Snake Mite

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  22:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay I will do that. Thank you both s much.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  02:12:18  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bizarrely enough one of my hogs will not eat at all unless he has to catch and 'kill' his prey.
If the food item is just lying there he practically ignores it, if it's moving and trying to get away from him then he will eat it.
Am uploading a vid now to show what I mean.

/edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klFEEAIWTWg

That's him only interested in food if it's moving, he's like that every single time.
My female though will try to eat anything that could possibly be food, she tried to eat a rat once that had a tail nearly longer than her.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000