New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2012 :  19:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My male hoggie hasn't eaten now for quite a few weeks, can't remember how long without getting up to check his records. I have been trying various things to get him started and have been bouncing ideas around with a friend of mine whos hoggie stopped eating until a few weeks ago. She told me today that she heard that scenting with slugs can work. Has anyone heard of slug scenting or tried it?

1.1.0 Hognose - Mr Hoggie, Miss Piggy
5.4.0 Corns - Swayze (ghost) Izzy (normal) Alice (amel) Peanut (butter motley) Noisy (lavender) Palace (amel) Lizzy (Normal) Connie (normal) Carmellia (butter motley)
0.1.0 cat - kizzy
1.0.0 Foster Dog - Paddy

www.support-dogs.org.uk

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of slug scenting, and I can't really see how it would work - do hoggies eat slugs in the wild?? If you can find a slug I suppose it might be worth a shot, but the conventional wisdom on this suggests cod liver oil, frogs or sardines.

FWIW, none of my snakes have ever responded to any kind of scenting. They just eat when they decide it's time, or, in the case of Baldrick, have to have vitamins pumped down their throats by the vet!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Lasse Kollerup Carlsen
Snake Mite

Denmark
9 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  11:08:48  Show Profile  Click to see Lasse Kollerup Carlsen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have had males that went off food for 3-4 months in the wintertime. Just give him a breake, and try every week. In the breeding season they tend to go off food, because they are so focused on breeding.

Best Regards Lasse K. Carlsen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000