New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  12:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been having problems with Bob for the last few months since he developed a series of kinks in his spine - well, it's taken a definite turn for the worse recently and I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any snake pain relief that might be available?? The kinks didn't seem to be bothering him at first, but now they've got more pronounced and he's started twisting himself round to try and poke at himself with his snout. He doesn't seem to be able to get comfortable and I keep finding him bathing the affected part in his water bowl. I also noticed something that looked like blood around his mouth this morning, although I couldn't see where it had come from and it was very faint.
I think it's obvious he's in pain, or at least discomfort, and I'm waiting for the vet to call me back, but does anyone know of anything that can be done for him, other than having him put to sleep? I'm fairly sure that's what will happen in the end but perhaps I'm being pessimistic. :(

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)

kdlang
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  15:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww hun, I don't have any advice that could be of use but just wanted to say you have my support. It must be awful to see him like that and not know what to do for the best.

Big hugs xx

1.1.0 Hognose - Mr Hoggie, Miss Piggy
5.4.0 Corns - Swayze (ghost) Izzy (normal) Alice (amel) Peanut (butter motley) Noisy (lavender) Palace (amel) Lizzy (Normal) Connie (normal) Carmellia (butter motley)
0.1.0 cat - kizzy
1.0.0 Foster Dog - Paddy

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  10:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning he was thrashing around in his box, hissing with his mouth open. It was pretty horrible. I think the kindest thing would be to have him put to sleep, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about it :(

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly, as you can see from my signature, Bob didn't make it, but thanks for the message of support. I will miss the little guy but Baldrick is getting an extra big hug now!

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  18:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so so sorry to hear that hun. Did you have him put to sleep or did he go on his own. At least he is at peace now and he had a very happy and loved life with you. Big hugs for you hun xx

1.1.0 Hognose - Mr Hoggie, Miss Piggy
5.4.0 Corns - Swayze (ghost) Izzy (normal) Alice (amel) Peanut (butter motley) Noisy (lavender) Palace (amel) Lizzy (Normal) Connie (normal) Carmellia (butter motley)
0.1.0 cat - kizzy
1.0.0 Foster Dog - Paddy

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  19:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was put to sleep. I didn't see it happen cos I just left him with the vet, but I'm happy that he'll have been well-treated and went off without any pain. Thanks for your support, it's really nice to know this forum is here when I need it!

Go to Top of Page

Gmac
Grumpy Scotsman

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  01:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louise sorry to read this, is very unfortunate. However you gave it your best and gave him a chance at it. You made the correct, albeit difficult, decision. You should never feel happy about making decisions like that just means you care.

Go to Top of Page

Toki
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  15:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear about Bob. Tough decision to make but it was definitely the right one and he went without any pain. You gave him a fab life .
Bet Baldrick's enjoying the extra cuddles :)

Albino Cali King - Mort
Normal Cornsnake - Red
High Contrast Albino Hognose - Mia
Red Het Hognose - Freddie
Bearded Dragon - Remi
Cats - Jack and Nola
German Shepherd Dog - Kane. R.I.P. Old man, miss you loads xxx

R.I.P. Jango (Yemem Cham) and Toki (Western Hognose) xxxxx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly