New with Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nimure
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  02:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! I'm new to these forums, though I do lurk the kingsnake ones from time to time. Anyway, seeing as this is my first breeding season with the hoggies I figured I'd drop by and ask a few questions.

1.) I have one female that I believe will be of a good weight for breeding. However, I have 2 other females that I really really want to breed, but are underweight (will possibly make it to 150 before breeding season). They were adopted from others at their less than optimal weight (Some people feel the need to severely underfeed their snakes. I got in one female that was 3-4 years old and only 100 grams). Anyway my question is, is it okay to breed them underweight? Or will there be severe health risks with doing this?

2.) How do I know when to breed them? Some websites say April, some say August. I think if I waited till august I could get the other 2 up to weight, but I don't want to completely miss the breeding season and wind up with them not being receptive at all.

3.) How does one double clutch a hognose? I'm not necessarily thinking of doing it this year, but that's something I'd like to know anyway.

Any advice would really be appreciated. I'm a first time breeder and not really sure what I'm doing here. Care-sheets are only so informative. I'll take any advice/help you can offer.

3.3 Western Hognose
1.1 Ball Pythons

Mamma
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  21:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not clued up on hoggie breeding tbh... however if you do have a facebook, there is a hoggie group and there are a fair few breeders on it. Its got a link to this forum too xx

https://www.facebook.com/groups/315718628486751/?ref=ts

Mamma. Location: Dundee

2.0.0 cornsnakes 1.1.0 kingsnakes 0.1.0 western hognose 0.1.0 hog island boa

wishlist: Arizona mountain kingsnake. Tricoloured, western hognose, Thayers kingsnake...pretty much MOAR kingsnakes

Go to Top of Page

nimure
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  03:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'll look into that!

3.3 Western Hognose
1.1 Ball Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Gmac
Grumpy Scotsman

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  15:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1.) I have one female that I believe will be of a good weight for breeding. However, I have 2 other females that I really really want to breed, but are underweight (will possibly make it to 150 before breeding season). They were adopted from others at their less than optimal weight (Some people feel the need to severely underfeed their snakes. I got in one female that was 3-4 years old and only 100 grams). Anyway my question is, is it okay to breed them underweight? Or will there be severe health risks with doing this?

As with breeding anything underweight there is always a risk, they arent ready for producing sustaining and laying the eggs. Worst case scenario female gets eggbound possibly death.

2.) How do I know when to breed them? Some websites say April, some say August. I think if I waited till august I could get the other 2 up to weight, but I don't want to completely miss the breeding season and wind up with them not being receptive at all.

Its not about you its about the snakes if the females arent ready the arent ready. There is always next season. You must put the snakes first not oh IM going to miss the breeding season. The only way i know of people getting snakes upto weight is by power feeding, that in itself has its own issues. Feed the snakes normally if they are within breeding sizes fair enough but do not rush them.

3.) How does one double clutch a hognose? I'm not necessarily thinking of doing it this year, but that's something I'd like to know anyway.

Snakes double clutch themselves we have absolutlely nothing to do with it. You dont add a male after she has layed, she wont be ready for another clutch so soon with a male.

Edited by - Gmac on 24/03/2012 15:19:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000