New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marco-58
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  22:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please help me out.as i am a newbie as far as hognoses go.i didnt want to be a sheep and go for a royal.i like unusual things.any way i want to get it right.so can you advise me on the basics eg what size viv,substrate etc.if it helps my hoggie is a 2011,i would say approx 6" long. he is currently in a 2ft viv with beech chippings.all help much appreciated.

Mamma
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  10:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum

Viv sounds fine. That should do him for adult life although you can get a 3 foot viv. Some people say that it is too big an enclosure and that they do better in smaller enclosures, however with some it is def not the case. My hoggie used to be in a much smaller enclosure than she is in now. Shes currently in a 3 foot viv. However she was never out and constantly hiding etc. Now shes in a 3 foot viv (shes been there for a good few months now) she is out and about constantly.... climbing in her jungle vine etc

I have mine on aspen... and alot of aspen as they also like to burrow

Mamma. Location: Dundee

2.0.0 cornsnakes 1.1.0 kingsnakes 0.1.0 western hognose 0.1.0 hog island boa

wishlist: Arizona mountain kingsnake. Tricoloured, western hognose, Thayers kingsnake...pretty much MOAR kingsnakes

Go to Top of Page

marco-58
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  20:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for that.since last post,had a rethink, my son has found me from komodo:. a starter kit. dimensions are 40cm wide 35cm high and 30cm deep.but instead of the snake one,ive gone for the leopard gecko one which has top opening but also sliding doors,which the snake one doesnt.once i have it i will post some pics.thought i would try this first,and see how i go.if it doesnt i will order vivexotic lx24 c/w cabinet.which my son modifys to accept smaller viv.my wife has named our hoggie : harley.as we are big motorcycle fans.cant wait to get harley this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  14:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking forward to pics

Mamma. Location: Dundee

2.0.0 cornsnakes 1.1.0 kingsnakes 0.1.0 western hognose 0.1.0 hog island boa

wishlist: Arizona mountain kingsnake. Tricoloured, western hognose, Thayers kingsnake...pretty much MOAR kingsnakes

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000