why is she so aggressive?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elbee
Snake Mite

20 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  19:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello friends. I have not posted in AGES. I hope everyone is well. So I have a western hognose that will be 3 in August. She was always a sweet baby, hardly hissed or hooded, and very docile. She now resides in a rack system and I've upped her food to rat fuzzies once a week or equal sized mouse. However, in the last 6 months to a year she has gotten super aggressive. I know they will bump you, but she comes at you with her mouth open anytime you open her tub. I feed her in a seperate container and its become a hassle just taking her out of her tub to feed. My other 5 snakes give me less headache :(. Last night I fed and decided I didn't want to take time getting her out and so I just threw on a gardening glove in case she were to bite. Well she did. Grabbed the finger of the glove and I thought she would realize it wasn't food and spit it out. Nope. She was determinded to eat the whole glove. She got 3 inches of the finger down before I got her to let go. I was so scared I was going to damage her rear fangs or hurt her, so I didn't pry much, but held her under running water. Took her about 15 minutes to let go. I'm just going to feed her in her tub now. Less stress on her and me. Any idea why she is that aggressive? I assume it is a feeding response. Does she need some lovin? Lol any ideas or advice let me know. Thanks. God bless

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  20:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why she'd suddenly go from being docile to being aggressive, but do you ever handle her between feeding times? If she associates your hand coming into her viv with being fed, then it will set off her feeding responses. If it was an aggressive bite, she'd just nip you and let go, but as she's hanging on, then it's a food thing!
Even though it's a hassle, I would still advise taking her out to feed her in a separate container, as it'll make things worse if she starts to associate her tub with being fed. And she would probably become more docile if you took her out regularly for non-food related handling, although you'd probably have to wear gloves to start with. Hope all that makes sense!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

dpkluge
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  20:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 760g female is a bit like this,its usually a feeding response,if theres the slightest aroma of mouse in a room and you open the cage she will come at you mouth wide open bout 10 inches off the deck!! i will try to get a photo next time as it really is something to see!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000