New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ian14
Snake Mite

15 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  09:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something a little different -
A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to find a pair of hatchling Mexican hognoses for sale from a shop in Leicester. These were the last of 6 pairs that had been imported by them from the US (and the only ones that they were importing too). I had been after these for ages! This is a fourth species of Heterodon, H. kennerlyi, having recently been elevated to full species status after once being treated as a subspecies of H. nasicus. They are slightly smaller than nasicus, with a different pattern and colouring. The head markings are also different. They have a slightly different breeding strategy too, mating and laying later in the year than nasicus.
Well, two years on and I have managed to breed them, in what I believe is the first UK breeding of true kennerlyi. 6 eggs hatched, and they are TINY compared to nasicus hatchlings. They have also proven to be more difficult to feed. One is taking unscented pinks, the rest are having to have theirs scented with hard boiled egg white, with a piece of egg laid on top of the pink for good measure.

Conners
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  14:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your breeding success, Ian - Mexicans are a fascinating species.

As regards the hatchlings, how much smaller than westerns are we talking?
Go to Top of Page

ian14
Snake Mite

15 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2012 :  16:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Conners

Congrats on your breeding success, Ian - Mexicans are a fascinating species.

As regards the hatchlings, how much smaller than westerns are we talking?

Only barely able to take the smallest of pinks. In fact I have one which is too small even for that - he is still taking chopped up bits of egg white at the moment. They are growing well now, and the bigger hatchlings are now easily managing a pink.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000