New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Night Hawk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2012 :  21:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all I have 3 lizards and a African house snake, I am hopefully getting a baby Hognose next week Any tips and suggestions before I get him/her would be great. The new arrival will be living in a rub, until he/she is big enough to go in a proper tank.

Ravenmorghane
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2012 :  09:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww part of me wishes I had my hognose from a baby. I got an adult one because the owner didn't want him any more (all my pets are rescue or unwanted)
Don't know what your other snake is like, but don't be put off by the hissing sometimes they get scared, its just a 'bluff' apparently. And don't be surprised if its a fussy eater, sometimes they are a bit daft with food.

1:1:0 Black and white cats
0:0:20 goldfish
1:0:0 hognose snake
Go to Top of Page

Gmac
Grumpy Scotsman

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  23:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome along, recommend reading the care sheet on our home page as a starting point

Go to Top of Page

Night Hawk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  15:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you my African house snake is really docile I'm very happy with him. Hes 4 years old and called Sid . He missed a feed this week but no signs of shedding he struck twice at the rat pup but missed each time would this put him off? He's active and moving around so maybe its just one of those things.

Sad too say i still have not got a hognose the baby i was after before was sold a day before i went in to the shop . Any tips on a vivarium what size??
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Snake Mite

15 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  21:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no what a shame :( Bit tricky to give tips on viv size - if you are after a baby then you really need a small faunarium or RUB first otherwise a hoggy would be stressed by too much space. As an adult it depends whether male or female as the females grow much bigger.

I have a house snake too! Got him at the start of Feb and he hatched last Sept so is absolutely tiny at the moment! I wouldn't worry about yours - just leave him a week then try again, it won't hurt to miss a feed at that age.
Go to Top of Page

Night Hawk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  16:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I think I would like to get a baby so I can tame him/her down might go for a boy because of the size. OK good ive got some more rat pups coming today so I shall try him again tomorrow. He seems fine over all.
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  21:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's generally better to go for a smaller enclosure than a larger one. Other types of snake, especially corns, can handle a bit of extra space, bit I think it can freak hoggies out a bit if they have too much freedom. You can always scale things up a bit later if you need to :)

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Night Hawk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2013 :  14:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exactly thanks for the advice :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly