New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drumrnj
Snake Mite

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  03:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with heat stroke or hyperthermia in a Western Hognose. About a week ago, we noticed his heat was way too high (110f). Just a rise in temp we were not expecting. As soon as I noticed (probobly about 24 hours later)I lowered the heat and brought it back down to 85. Blaze was very lethergic and we didnt think he would make it through the night. He has also been stiff and his muscels seem to be cramping. It has been a very, very slow process and he sort of comes in and out of consciousness and activity. I have been soaking him daily in luke warm water and having him drink. Is there anything else I can do? Will he completely come out of it ? Please help. Thank You
George

George M. Wasek

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  18:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I've no experience of this at all, can't say I've even heard of it before. But from what you've said, I would advise you to get that snake to the vet straight away, if you haven't already.How is he now?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  01:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would say head to the vets by the sounds of things . The only time i have heard of muscle spasms was when mite treatment has been used as hogs seem very sensitive to it . But this seems directly related to the heat . Has he improved since this thread was made?

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox
Go to Top of Page

drumrnj
Snake Mite

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2013 :  23:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes thank you... he has improved however he is still hiding mostly and not eating yet (been about 4 weeks). He is drinking and flicking his tounge which is also a good sign. I contacted my vet. He said it will just take time. He stays mostly on the very cool side. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again. I really want him to her better

George M. Wasek
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  15:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is much else you can do other than making sure he continues to take on liquids, maybe carry on soaking him for now and keep an eye on his weight. He probably won't be in the mood for eating if he is still feeling the effects of overheating, but if he does start to lose weight (more than 10% of his body weight) you should perhaps think about an intervention.
In the long term, if you don't have a thermostat in his viv already, then I'd say it's vitally important that you get one, then if the temperature rises too far in the future it will just automatically shut off.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000