New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

strangemouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  21:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

What has been everyone's experiences, percentage-wise, of non-feeders from a clutch? This is my first year breeding and about a third of both clutches have been problem feeders, is this typical? If it is just bad luck I may try again next year but if it is generally this bad I don't think I want to go through it again.

I have tried all the advice on scenting, heating, leaving overnight etc.

What are other people's experiences?

Thanks

Victoria

Captive bred pet invertebrates at www.mostlymolluscs.co.uk
2:1 Western Hognoses: Giger, Terry & Hoggle (+ babies!)

manda88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  14:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was the temperature in the incubator and how many days were they incubating for? I've heard that the shorter the incubation period/higher the temps, the more problem feeders there are, and the longer the incubation/lower the temps, most if not all of the clutch feed just fine, it's very strange!
Not hoggies, but when I incubated a clutch of corn eggs this year I had them at 27c (started hatching after about 65 days) and out of 18 babies, there was only one that refused point blank to feed. He's since gone to another keeper who has loads of experience with assist/force feeding. There were about 4 others that took about a month to get feeding but have never missed a feed since.
This might be a really stupid question, and I apologise in advance if it is, but is it possible to feed small fish like sprats to hoggie hatchies? Or even froglets/toadlets? I absolutely love frogs but I've heard they're an excellent way of getting hoggies eating!

Corn snakes, royals, a GTP, BRB, hoggie, 2 cresties and loads of frogs!
Go to Top of Page

strangemouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  23:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first clutch was kept steady at 27C and they started hatching on day 52. I had problems with the incubator with the second and they kept creeping up and staying at 30C for a few days and hatched a week sooner than the first. I haven't noticed any differences in the number of non-feeders between the two clutches though although have read research previously on incubation temperature and feeding response in other snakes so that is interesting to know.

I did try offering small fish as well as fish scented pinkies just in case but it didn't make any difference. I don't have any frogs I can feed although I did try leaving pinkies in with my tree frogs and putting them in a tub next to the snakes but they didn't trigger any feeding response.

Captive bred pet invertebrates at www.mostlymolluscs.co.uk
2:1 Western Hognoses: Giger, Terry & Hoggle (+ babies!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000