3 Yr old Hognose wont eat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Heather
Snake Mite

1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  12:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I adopted a 3yr old hognose from my friend 3 months ago and set him up in a new faunaurium. He's been in it 2 months now and has not eaten dispite having the correct temp, using his previous heat mat, hide, water dish and it being the same size.

How long can they survive without food?

He's become jumpy and hisses now when I try to take him out. He was calm and enjoyed being out, he ate 3 mice in his old travel box the first month I had him. I tried moving him back in there to feed but that didn't work either. I've checked for mites which I cannot see any and his colouring is good, doesn't appear to be due to shed.
Can anyone give me some advice as to why he might be displaying this behaviour?

Thanks

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  11:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is fairly normal for them to go off their food at this time of year - one of my hoggies makes an annual event of it, and I find that unfortunately I have to let it run its course. It might be because he feels it's time to hibernate, with it being winter and the days being shorter. Some people have success with trying brained mice, or scenting them with fish or frog, or trying freshly killed. Live feeding might work for some people but it depends where in the world you are, as the law is a bit hazy on that in the UK.

As to how long they can survive without food, it really does depend on their size and weight, but 2 months is nothing to get majorly concerned about, especially as yours is 3 years old. I would advise you to weigh him regularly and make sure he isn't losing too much. Weight loss of up to about 12% is OK, but anything more than that and you might want to consider assist feeding. Do you have a reptile vet or breeder near you who you could ask for help if necessary?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  09:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, just wondering how this snake is doing - any luckwith the feeding?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000