Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Health
 brumation or something to be worried about?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mazz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  18:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks, been a long time since I have posted :( but on the plus side there haven't been any issues with Princess until recently, a little while ago on one of her explorations she dived into the missus' purse and got her fat arse stuck in a keyring, after a couple of minutes I managed to cut it off her, but she got quite stressed (so did I), so a quick vet check who has said she looks fine, and back into her home. She behaved fine for the next few weeks so I thought nothing of it, however since then she hasn't eaten, and now it has gotten to 15 weeks.
She is 2.5 years old and is about 2 ft in length, she is still behaving normally, drinking and coming out to bask, and her normal escape attempts, but she is losing weight and I'm getting concerned, I have tried braining, scenting (tuna) and smaller food (down from large mice to pinks and everything in between).
The only other ideas I have are that she has some kind of internal injury but she doesn't flinch when being handles and seems happy other wise, or that she has out grown the viv which is 2ft by 1.5ft, it is a little small but finances haven't allowed an upgrade just yet.
Any thoughts?

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  18:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch, that happened to my Baldrick once when he tried to wriggle through a gap in a wicker chair. He was so traumatised that I was worried he'd have a heart attack or something, but thankfully there was no lasting damage.
Perhaps, if your hog is losing weight, it'd be worth getting the vet to x-ray her to check for internal damage, just to rule that out. Otherwise, do you know how to assist feed, or do you have anyone who can do it for you?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Mazz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  12:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never had to assist feed, I know how to but might go to my local reptile shop who are very very helpful :-)
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  00:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it may have shook her up a little , maybe try braining a mouse? worked on one of my girls that refused to eat out of brumation , she turned down three feeds then i tried the braining method and she has taken food since . If she starts to loose weight and condition , maybe another trip to the vets would help ?

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox
Go to Top of Page

Mazz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  20:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, long time since a response, since my girlfriend and I moved back permanently to mine and princess was getting attention every day she started eating again and is now back to full weight! It seems lack of attention was the problem, living up to her name as always!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000