Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GrantyBhoy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  15:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone,
looking for a bit of advice for once, my male hoggy of 5 years has started making a regular noise which is making me think he has some type of infection or respiratory problem. Every 15mins to half an hour he releases a puff of air (kind of similar to when they hiss when annoyed). He doesnt appear to be in any visable discomfort (he still goes about his business as usual) but as we know its very hard to tell with snakes. so yeah any outside info would be appreciated

1.0.0 Western Hognose - Oscar

Mamma
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  20:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would get him checked out if you even suspect that it could be R.I related xxx

Mamma. Location: Dundee

2.0.0 cornsnakes 1.1.0 kingsnakes 0.1.0 western hognose 0.1.0 hog island boa

wishlist: Arizona mountain kingsnake. Tricoloured, western hognose, Thayers kingsnake...pretty much MOAR kingsnakes

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  09:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn snake went through a phase of doing that when she was coming up to being in blue, and then it went away again once she'd finished sloughing her skin. But that migth not have anything to do with it, so it's probably best to get him checked out.
Does he seem able to breathe without opening his mouth? Has there been any discharge from his mouth at all?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

GrantyBhoy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  12:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont really get a great response on this eh?

well "LouiseB" i think the same has kind of happened here. mid-week there i cleaned the tank and just put newspaper in instead of everything else. i also decided to put a tub of hot water with some Olbas Oil in the tank to help him out a bit (sealed tub with holes in it obv). That same night he shed his skin, and delighted to report that ive not heard the noise since! im still obv keeping an eye/ear out though just incase as now its became a bit of a mystery. ive since fed him a mouse with a sprinkle of some 'ARKVITS' on it to also aid him a bit more. If it starts up again which im hopeful it wont, then vets it is!!

1.0.0 Western Hognose - Oscar
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  20:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's strange! I wonder if it was related to his shedding, then? Has anyone else noticed anything like that happening? Hopefully the problem won't resurface, but you're obviously doing everything right.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

pythons
Snake Mite

3 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  05:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my female hognose that is 260 grams just started to make this noise i keep her in a rack with aspen beeding im wondering if she might of got some of that in her when feeding also gona try and raise temps a littel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000