New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Samantha.Smith
Snake Mite

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  18:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was cleaning my snake tank yesterday, and while he was roaming on the floor, i noticed he had what looked like a splinter on his side near the tail. i got the aspen that was stuck to it off, and he didn't seem to mind me near it, but it was a little sore and bloody looking. should i be worried? he isn't acting any differently, and was eating fine the last time i fed him, but i am wondering if there is any specific care instructions on a snake injury like this? is there some sort of antiseptic i can use or do they normally heal on their own?

Mamma
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  21:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, if there is blood I would try and get it to the vet. But thats just what I would do. xx

Mamma. Location: Dundee

2.0.0 cornsnakes 1.1.0 kingsnakes 0.1.0 western hognose 0.1.0 hog island boa

wishlist: Arizona mountain kingsnake. Tricoloured, western hognose, Thayers kingsnake...pretty much MOAR kingsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Samantha.Smith
Snake Mite

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  16:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, i'm going to watch it for a bit and see because it really doesn't seem to be bothering him, and wouldn't he act differently if he were in pain?
Go to Top of Page

Gmac
Grumpy Scotsman

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  19:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if theres an open wound keep the snake on kitchen paper, you dont want aspen irritating it more than need be.

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  19:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there an open wound, or has it healed over? I would put him in a smaller enclosure with kitchen paper instead of aspen, so it can't irritate anything. If he is still bleeding after a couple of hours, I would take him to the vet. He may or may not be in pain, but there is still a risk of infection with an open wound. Let us know how you get on!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Samantha.Smith
Snake Mite

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  20:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well it's been a couple days now and he seems just fine. i have looked at it appears to be healing, so i think i'll just let him do his thing. just fed him, and he ate just fine so i think he's ok. he hasn't been really lethargic or anything, so that's a good sign, right?
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2012 :  09:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds as if it's healing OK, but it you notice any discharge from the wound, or he appears to be bothered by it in any way, then it's probably vet time!

Go to Top of Page

Samantha.Smith
Snake Mite

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  21:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took him to the vet, because he started acting really odd yesterday. he was opening his mouth and he made this horrible noise, like he was choking or something, but it was too late to get him in. then today he was moving backwards, which is weird in itself, and twisting around almost like he was in pain. so i got him in as soon as possible, and it turns out he has a bacterial infection and an infetion in his eye, which was causing the twisting because it had affected his nervous system. so i've got antibiotics to give him every 48 hours and hopefully that does the trick!
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  21:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, poor little thing. I hope he's OK, let us know when the antibiotics start working. Sounds like you have a good vet, anyway.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000