New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alidan
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  16:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Our hoggie has refused the last couple of feeds and wondering if we should be worried. She's about 6 months old and we've had her since November (about 1 and a half months). She has eaten well every 5 days until 29th Dec at which point she started refusing feeds. Temps are stated 31 degrees at warm end and room temp at cool end. Still lively and friendly - odd hiss/bunt if we startle her only.
The only difference I can think of is that at Christmas we all had flu and were ill for 2weeks. During this time handling was at a minimal so maybe this has upset her daily structure? We've started handling as normal for the last week and a half and she seems non the worse except non feeding.
When she first refused a meal I didn't attempt again for a few days later so not to stress her, and then again a few days later but still no interest shown.
No sign of a shed/wt loss.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2013 :  19:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd just keep an eye on her weight, make sure she doesn't start losing too much. As long as she seems OK otherwise, I wouldn't worry about a couple of missed feeds. Hoggies can be a bit temperamental like that.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Alidan
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  08:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for you reply. She's still not interested in feeding but seems to be maintaining condition so I'll see how it goes. Thanks again :-)
Go to Top of Page

Alidan
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  13:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoop-a-doop! Astrid our wee hoggie has fed!! I'm so relieved. Although I've monitored her weight and it has kept constant, it's been since just past Xmas since she accepted a pinkie. She's tiny so weighing her was almost a religion! The most I've been able to get her to take was some brain goo and half a torso about a month ago
I was starting to loose heart. This was the first time I didn't get her feeding box out. I just weighed her and put a pinkie in front of her and she took it. Typical, I had to hold her while she wiggled it down.
Anyway, fingers crossed this is the start of her regularly taking feeds again
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  10:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news! I think it may just have been the time of year. I've had problems with feeding my hoggy in the past during the winter months, and although he often loses a lot of weight, he usually starts up again when spring arrives. Not that it has arrived really, but animals seem to know these things!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Snake Mite

15 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2013 :  08:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that is fab news, such a long time to go without food, you must have been so worried.
Go to Top of Page

Alidan
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  22:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep thanks, and guess what? I got her out of her viv this afternoon and she's in blue! Making up for lost time :-D
Go to Top of Page

Alidan
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  18:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeay!! Since last posting, Astrid has shed and fed again tonight. Happy Days!!
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Snake Mite

15 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  07:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woah that's quick! Still waiting on ours to shed lol.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000