New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ir staite
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  19:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have got a 4 month old hognose,got it three and a half weeks ago and its yet to feed.When I first got it it's eyes were pale blue,so obviously it was about to shed and I put it's lack of appetite down to that.It successfully shed a week ago and still shows no interest in pinkies offered to it.I've tried braining.box feeding,warming the pinkie up all to no avail.Is it too early to start worrying yet as otherwise it's active,exploring it's enclosure and using the hides all over the tank?

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  14:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if it's male or female? It makes a big difference to their feeding habits - male hoggies are notorious for going off their food for weeks at a time.
If yours seems to be OK otherwise, I wouldn't start worrying yet. A successful shed is usually a good sign healthwise, too. Keep weighing him/her and keep track of the results.
Also, if your hoggy has refused food, don't try to offer him/her another meal too soon, leave it for a few days at least before you try again. It will probably feed when it becaomes a bit more accustomed to its new surroundings.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  18:23:18  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt worry too much but just keep an eye on its wait

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  15:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree - hoggys can be funny eaters, so don't worry too much at this stage.

If you can take note of his weight, so that if he continues to not eat then you can monitor if he's losing any.

Just keep trying and eventually he'll eat. You could also try scenting with either frogs legs or cod liver oil. That worked with Wilbur anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Andy_G
Egg

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  01:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canned salmon or tuna work for scenting as well. Remember not to offer any more often then every 3 to 4 days, and also keep in mind that some hognose will have a better feeding response if the food item is gently pressed against their nose.
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  15:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kazerella - where do you get frog's legs from? I have read about scenting hoggy food with a toad if they won't feed, but I always wondered where you would actually find one, short of hanging around at the side of a busy road and hoping to find a squashed one...

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  15:58:48  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
international food store or fish markets!

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  17:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes just look for a good deli or market

Although I bet they'll be a online seller somewhere too.

We've not actually done the frog legs thing yet, but because we have got amphibians in the house we have collected toad urine and scented with that because someone told us it was a sure-fire thing. It didn't work with Wilbur though

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Hognose Snake Admin

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  19:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frogs legs are reputed to be the best, but like kaz says we haven't tried that. If you are toad scenting, be careful what kind or toad you use, the majority have toxins that can harm your hoggy.

I'd try the cod liver oil or fish scenting first before going on the search for frogs legs

Lewy

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  13:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried cod liver oil and fish already, and neither of them have worked on my little Baldrick. But the frog's legs will be worth a try next time he decides to go on hunger strike. I live in rural North Yorkshire so it's not easy to lay hands on "forrin" foods, it's bad enough trying to get pesto at the supermarket. I will have a look at the deli next time I'm in town!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  13:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could possibly find a dead, fresh wild frog (not toad because of the toxins) and freeze it for a few days to kill potential parasite and nasties and then try and scent with that.

Not sure if I would risk it personally, but as a last resort

Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  00:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently Tesco value chicken soup, or hot dog water works well also... worth a try before you go out froggie hunting perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  17:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I met a man at York Rep night the other day who swears that salmon scenting is the way to go to get hoggy's eating

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000