Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keri
Snake Mite

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, my first post here, and it's about poop, how lovely
A little background first:
I bought this snake nearly 2 months ago and it was being fed on live mouse pinks at the time. He took a live ASF pink for me right away (*I think this is a UK forum? If so I apologize for Canada's barbaric ways lol I feed my snakes F/T, but sometimes it takes a few meals to transition them over if the previous owner has fed live) and then wouldn't eat anything (live ASF or F/T ASF or mouse pink) for nearly 5 weeks. He had one very small "thin" kinda watery poop the first day.

He's not very big (just about 22g now) and I started to worry a little. I tried scenting with fish, rubbing the prey on one of my lizards, you know the usual stuff that is suggested for hognose with no success. The only thing he showed any interest in were my incubating crested eggs. Well, Can Not Has lol! But when they hatched I rubbed some of the goo from the egg on two f/t mouse pinks and success! I have fed him another f/t mouse pink treated this way (I froze the goo lol) each week since and he has taken them but he has never produced what I would consider "normal" poo.

So my question is... what does hognose snake poop look like? This is my first hog (but I've been keeping other snakes for 15 years now) and I don't know what it should look like but I would imagine like other snake poop, no? Because what it looks like now is quite watery (well, it soaks into the paper towel) and "thin" like when a bird craps on your car, that look. Not good I would imagine. He has done this a couple times now. We don't have any herp vets in my area, I live in coastal BC, but I'm a ward nurse in a small animal veterinary practice. I can run a fecal on him next time he produces, if I can catch it before it all soaks into the paper towel. Maybe I'll use newspaper for the next little bit. He is still in QT away from my other snakes, but is in the same room as my geckos.

I should mention that other than the strange feces he is otherwise bright and inquisitive and now that I have figured out his tastes: Hungry.

So I guess two questions, if you made it thru my giant story lol...
1. Does anyone have a pic of normal hognose snake poop?
2. Does anyone have any experience medicating a snake this small?

If I find any parasite ova and I can't identify it, I'll post pics and maybe someone here will know

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  11:13:53  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as far as the feeding habit goes he is a male so will probably be picky for alot of his life.

and for the poo at that age they are the sameas bird poo pretty much mine has just hit the 50-60g stage and now his poo looks like a that of a baby corns

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Keri
Snake Mite

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  00:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks sexychef. Yes, I am fairly certain by his size and eating habits and tail length that he is male... I'd love to get another hognose someday because I like them so much but I will probably choose female :) He was bought as sex unknown.

I think I have a tail pic... gimme a sec...

Oh... here it is, not a great shot, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  09:29:40  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
have you seen this thread bout tail size. you might be able to guage better once seeing it http://www.thehognosesnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=241&SearchTerms=sexing,by,tail

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  15:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hog's poo tends to be slightly firmer than the stuff my corn produces and also a bit darker, but as a rule I think it should have a solid centre but also a runnier bit. As long as it's not completely liquid, it's probably OK but it will be a good idea to do a test on whatever comes out of him next, just to make sure he doesn't have any parasites.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Andy_G
Egg

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  16:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a male. I have found hognose poop to be similar to corn poop...sometimes more messy...sometimes more neat.
Go to Top of Page

Keri
Snake Mite

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  07:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, better pictures folks :)

Still think male? I think male. I took some slightly better tail shots today.

I gave him a dose of fenbendazole at 50/mg/kg (which in his case was a very, Very small amount lol) I will repeat the dose in 2 weeks.

And his sexy face ;)

I keep a tub of carefresh and a tub of aspen in there for him to burrow in if he wishes but the main substrate is paper towel.
Go to Top of Page

Andy_G
Egg

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  16:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Male, no question.
Go to Top of Page

Keri
Snake Mite

Canada
22 Posts