New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snowshoe
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  10:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up my 1st hoggie on Tuesday this week , I saw him on Saturday inthe rep shop he's a male 18 months old western hoggie. I held him in the shop no problem no hissing and he seemed very friendly and active.

on picking him up and bringing him home he's in a monkfield viv 18 inch with 2 hides one cool end other warm end, I have a 7 watt heat mat with a habistat mat stat.there is also a small earth wear water dish for his bottled water and a digital themo for the temp which is about 30/31. one plastic plant and a small bit of cork bark.

on putting him in he had a good look around but seems to have settled at the back of the viv under the plastic plant. he's not moved much at all to be honest, I was told he was a good eater and have the records from the rep shop , was told to offer him a small mouse every Thursday, so last night I placed the mouse on kitchen roll so he could help himself it was 7pm he's not touched it at all this morning so I got the snake tongs and offered it to him , all he did was lunge at the tongs and go into a hissy , them moved away.

have I done something very wrong ? lady in the shop told me he would just open his mouth and take the meal she said he was a pleasure to feed , no trouble what so ever her words not mine. as she had fed him lots of times.

he didn't hiss at all in the shop when being picked up which I saw 3 times . he didn't when I picked him up out of his travel box to but him in his new viv , in fact he nearly shot out the travel box into the new viv .

advice please , thanks in advance xx

Mamma
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  12:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you have the mat statted?

General rule of letting a new snake settle in is not to disturb for at least 7 days to give them time to get used to their surroundings. JUst going in to change water.

Hes probably not wanting to eat as he is still settling in. Leave him until next feed day before you try feeding again. If you can then leave him be in as well until then.. again... only going in to change water.

My hoggie hisses at the feeds too.

Mamma. Location: Dundee

2.0.0 cornsnakes 1.1.0 kingsnakes 0.1.0 western hognose 0.1.0 hog island boa

wishlist: Arizona mountain kingsnake. Tricoloured, western hognose, Thayers kingsnake...pretty much MOAR kingsnakes

Go to Top of Page

snowshoe
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  19:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes he has a habistat mat stat up top 100 watts and a 7 watt mat .
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  21:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could take him a few weeks to settle into his new surroundings. As Mamma said, it'd be best now to leave him until his next feeding day, and keep handling to a minimum until you've got him feeding. I know it's frustrating - when you get a new snake, all you want to do is pick him up! But don't lose heart just now, it all sounds perfectly normal to me.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000